Train the Trainer - Bear Safety Training Calgary
CSA, Suncor Approved | AIP Certified
The population of both Grizzly and Black bears is on the rise in western Canada with many bears frequenting the mountainous and foothill areas. This increase in bear numbers, along with the continued popularity of outdoor exploration and activities in both the Rocky Mountains and various parks and campgrounds throughout Alberta and BC creates the potential for a bear encounter.
Most confrontations between bears and humans can be avoided when people have a firm understanding of bear behavior and reasons for bear encounters.
This comprehensive 32 Hour Bear Awareness Train the Trainer course will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to successfully provide a quality training experience. This course includes both classroom theory and outdoor practical exercises.
Topics of instruction will include:
- Facilitate a positive learning environment
- Use the principles of adult learning to improve learning results
- Deliver training that meets the delegate's needs
- Prepare visual aids that are clear, effective and related to the topic
- Eliminate and/or handle classroom inconveniences.
- Conflict resolution
- Prepare to deliver a training session
- Visual Media (Pros and Cons)
- Lead a classroom discussion so it meets the desired outcomes for the participants and the intended learning objective
- Identify personal training style , beliefs and opinions
- Regardless of the topic, how to present it in a manner that makes any material fun and let the training message across and make it stick
Topics of instruction specific to bear awareness will include:
- Bear Awareness and Safety
- Black Bear and Grizzly Bear identification
- Bear ecology
- Understanding Bear behavior
- Habitat and potential encounters,
- Hazard Recognition: food sources and bear signs,
- Preventative Measures: while hiking or camping and working in the field
- Camp Set- up
- Response Techniques for encounters in the field
- Non – lethal deterrents
- How to safely use, handle and store bear spray
- How to safely transport bear spray
- First Aid Treatment for bear spray exposure
- Review of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for bear spray
- Noise Deterrents
- Outdoor practical demonstration on the proper use of bear spray
This course is applicable to anyone who plans on enjoying outdoor activities in these regions and wishes to co-exist safely in the Bears natural habitat as well as workers who are stationed in some of these remote areas.
Upon completion of this course, you will be certified to conduct your own Bear Awareness training program.