This course is designed for both new and experienced operators covering theoretical and practical overhead crane principles.
The company specific training is conducted at the client location and instructs participants on the use of crane equipment at their facility.
Upon completion of the practical and written examination, successful participants will receive an Overhead Crane Operation Certificate valid for a period of 3 years.
An overhead crane, commonly called a bridge crane, is a type of crane commonly found in most industrial environments. Overhead crane has a wide application over many industries when the hoisting or moving of large or heavy items in required. The term overhead crane may include the following lifting devices such as: hoists, jib cranes, gantry cranes, monorails, top running and under slug cranes.
Overhead cranes are designed to assist with moving large and heavy objects from point a to point b. Proper training is required to prevent crane accidents that can lead to the loss of product, injury and death. Crane incidents can involve shifting / dropping loads, contact with structure, rigging failure and catastrophic failure. This course is recommended based on the rated load capacity of a 2000 to 5000 kg crane.
AIP Safety offers 3 Overhead Crane Operator Training courses in Calgary, AB: 4 Hour, 8 Hour and 12 Hour.
- Legislation and regulations as well as company specific safe work procedures
- Responsibilities of the owner, supervisor and worker
- Crane Safety
- Basic Principles: Overhead Crane Design/Operation
- Consequences of improper use of a crane
- The function of different kinds of cranes and lifting devices
- The lifting capacity of the cranes
- Crane load limits
- Using different kinds of slings, rigging methods, and the effect of sling angle
- Safe lifting practices (lifting, moving, and placing loads) turning Loads (if required)
- Maintaining a safe distance
- Hand Signals (if required)
- Proper use of controls (pendent, radio, and cab)
- Understanding lifting attachments
- Pre-shift inspections of the crane and slings
- Written and practical tests including Safe Operating