Mold Awareness Training - Calgary
CSA, WH&S Approved | AIP Certified
There are thousands of known species of molds. They all require moisture for growth and some live in aquatic environments. Like all fungi, molds derive energy not through photosynthesis but from the organic matter on which they live. Many molds also synthesize mycotoxins and in some cases may be harmful to humans.
In artificial environments such as buildings, humidity and temperature are often stable enough to foster the growth of mold colonies, commonly seen as a downy or furry coating growing on food or other surfaces.
Molds are ubiquitous, and mold spores are a common component of household and workplace dust; however, when mold spores are present in large quantities, they can present a health hazard to humans, potentially causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems.
Some molds also produce mycotoxins that can pose serious health risks to humans and animals. Some studies claim that exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases, death. Prolonged exposure, e.g. daily work exposure, may be particularly harmful.
AIP Safety offers a variety of Health and Safety Training courses including Mold Awareness Training in Calgary, AB.
This 2 hour course has been designed to provide practical, general-use knowledge on what mold is, the hazards of mold contamination and the basic principles behind mold remediation techniques.
Mold Awareness Training Course Objectives:
- Why is mold a problem
- Mold abatement and due diligence responsibilities
- Microbiology of molds, where they come from, the various species of molds, causes and rates of growth and toxicology concerns
- Health and safety issues for occupants of mold infested areas
- Effects of mold on property
- Alberta Occupational Health and Safety regulations
- Recognition and of molds
- Basic investigation and remediation techniques
- Protective equipment and clothing used during abatement procedures
- Mold prevention methods
- Air sampling and monitoring
This course has been designed to meet and exceed the Occupational Health and Safety Guide and is applicable to any worker who is responsible for mold abetment.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will receive a 3 year certification in Mold Awareness.