Elevated Work Platform/ Scissor lift - Toronto
In accordance with CSA and Ontario OH&S
An aerial work platform (AWP), also known as an aerial device, scissor lift, elevated work platform (EWP), or mobile elevated work platform (MEWP) is a mechanical device used to provide temporary access for people or equipment to inaccessible areas, usually at height.
They are generally used for temporary, flexible access purposes such as maintenance and construction work or by firefighters for emergency access, which distinguishes them from permanent access equipment such as elevators. They are designed to lift limited weights — usually less than a ton, although some have a higher safe working load (SWL) — distinguishing them from most types of cranes. They are usually capable of being set up and operated by a single person.
Due to the wide range of applications for this equipment. Aerial lifts have become one of the most utilized pieces of equipment in industry. Hazards can include falls, contact with live wires, tipping and contact with structure resulting in worker injury.
This course instructs equipment operators in the safety aspects, preventive maintenance, operating techniques, and proper procedures while using scissors lifts.
This is a 4 hour Elevated Work Platform Course in Toronto designed to foster and develop a professional, willing and co-operative attitude towards safe equipment operation.
Scissor lift(s) must be made available if training is conducted offsite.
Elevated Work Platform Course Objectives:
- Labour Canada Regulations and Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Skills required for a person to become professional operator
- Demonstrate capability to safely operate the aerial lift device
- Demonstrate safety rules & responsibilities of persons involved in aerial lift operations
- Conduct walk around inspections and preventive maintenance
- Demonstrate various practical manoeuvres and methods of safe operation
- Demonstrate correct fall protection procedures for aerial lift operations
- Responsibilities of user
- Evaluation of hazards recognized in various situations
- Importance of a Pro-Active Safety Attitude
The course meets all of the current CSA Standard Requirements. The course is split into equal parts that include hands-on practical training and classroom instruction. Participants are required to hold a valid Fall Protection certificate if operating the Scissor Lift. It is not mandatory to have a valid Fall Protection certificate to complete this training as you are supervised by a qualified instructor however it is highly recommended.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to apply the techniques of safe operation in their jobs as professional operators and will be issued a certificate that is valid for a period of 3 years.
Please note that this does not cover Boom Lifts.