Do you work in a tight space where there are limited or restricted entries and exits? You will need to ensure you and your employees have confined spaces training. This type of training is vital to keep everyone on the worksite safe from harm or death. A confined space can be dangerous and difficult to maneuver in if you are unfamiliar with proper protocols.
Even if you are not the one working inside of a confined space but are an assistant to the entrant, you need to be trained in the proper monitoring of the site.
Why else would you need confined space training or confined space entry training?
- Able to recognize signs of danger to avoid them
- Be aware of how to set up and use the equipment for this type of work environment
- Know procedures to follow in the event of an emergency
- Know how to safely work in a confined space
- Have knowledge of how to rescue oneself and employees in the event of a negative situation
What are some of the confined spaces that would require this type of training?
Why is working in a confined space so dangerous?
- You might drown in a small space in the event of a sudden flood
- There is a risk of you burning to death if a fire were to occur in a tight space
- You could become asphyxiated
- Noxious fumes could suffocate you
- Low oxygen levels can cause you to become unable to breathe
- The area you are working in can be contaminated, posing a high risk to your health
Before you can begin working in a confined space the following must be ensured:
- A trained person on-site needs to determine all permits required to work in confined spaces
- The environment in the narrow space needs to be tested
- All workers need access to personal protective equipment
- Emergency rescue and emergency services need to be readily available
Confined spaces training saves lives every day by preparing you for any unexpected work situation. Safety training courses help save lives and prevent bodily injuries. When you and your coworkers are working in confined spaces there is no better way to prevent accidents from happening than to be informed and educated about all the safety protocols. Make sure you are aware of everything around you and have the proper certifications for the job - remember, prevention is key.